Saturday, April 16, 2011

Theater thoughts

It's amazing how time gets away from you, sometimes. I mean, here I am thinking that I'll post something new every few days... a week and a half after my last post, here I sit - looking at my screen with nothing to write. Bummer.

So, let's make something up and run with it. =) Ah, here we are...

I went to Liberty's Tower Theater tonight for a performance of Phantom of the Opera. I will spare you all from having to hear me gush about everything I loved about it. You can ask me if you wanna know that bad. This is what I will say, though. It still amazes me that there are people on this campus who do not take advantage of the incredible opportunity to attend the theater here. I realize that Liberty's theater program is not a theater with paid actors or anything like that, but goodness gracious, it's close. They do a fantastic job! Not only that, but the chance to go to the theater for only $7, especially with shows like Hairspray and Phantom of the Opera, is rare.

I know a lot of people don't really care for the theater. I get that it's a lot of dancing and singing, and some people really don't like that. What a pity. So many people have these preconceived notions of what musical theater really is. The thing about music is that it draws people in and connects them in a way that dialogue really can't. It's a connector. On a stage, there is so much to actually see when people are performing - sets, facial expressions, special effects - the spectacle of it all is fascinating. Not all theater is super campy, not all of it is cheesy, and there really is something for everyone (way to sound totally cliche, right? It's true, though.).

There are a ton of great reasons why people should go to the theater - at least once. It doesn't even have to be at Liberty - just go. Somewhere. Anywhere. For the sake of being more well rounded and expanding your cultural horizons, it's important to go. Do yourself a huge favor and go to the theater. You can thank me later. If nothing else, you can use it as a great date opportunity. ;)


 

No comments:

Post a Comment